The Échappée Bib Shorts - a MAAP/ CyclingTips Collaboration
Échappée: French for escape, breakaway or fugitive.
The most beautiful and enthralling wins in the history of the sport have come from heroic échappées. Requiring equal amounts of skill and luck (perhaps with a dose of the doctor’s medicine thrown in for some cases, we’re not quite sure), an échappée is the hardest victory to pull off, going solo against the peloton. Many great riders throughout history have made their name with a Grand Tour or career defining winning break.
We’ve teamed up with local Australian brand, MAAP, to bring you the Échappée Jersey and Knicks, inspired by some of the most heroic moments of our great sport.
We started by putting together our list of memorable breakaways and then took design inspiration from the routes. We can’t guarantee this kit will give you a winning edge over your mates and turn you into a mountain goat, or even give you that strength to escape and hold off that local bunch you always get caught up in, but it will inspire you to throw caution into the wind and have a crack. Otherwise you’ll miss 100% of the chances you never take.
- Fausto Coppi’s win on stage 17 of the 1949 Giro d’Italia
- Eddy Merckx’s ride on stage 12 of the 1968 Giro d’Italia (Tre Cime), en route to overall victory
- Andy Hampsten’s ride on stage 14 of the 1988 Giro d’Italia (Gavia), en route to overall victory
- Eros Poli’s breakaway on Mt Ventoux 1994 - Stage 15 1994 TdF
- 1999 Tour de France Stage 9 - Le Grand Bornand - Sestrières (Italy)
- Andy Schleck’s stage win on Stage 18 of the 2011 Tour de France
- Tom Boonen’s 2012 Paris-Roubaix victory
- Alberto Contador 2012 stage 17 to win the Vuelta
See our full account of the rides here.
Model pictured is 186cm, 82kgs, 104cm chest, 106cm hip (size 34 waist) and wears size large.
Bib short details:
- Inspired by the route profiles of some of the best breakaways of all time
- Made in Italy.
- Signature fit developed by MAAP.
- Highly compressive main body fabric.
- Moisture wicking.
- Market leading 3D endurance pad.
- Matte fabric for a modern look and feel.
- Bonded hem for secure fit.
- Flat lock stitching.
- Reflective tape for added visibility at the back of each leg.
- SPF 50+ sun protection factor.
Item ready to ship within 3 business days from Australia. For more information about shipping/ returns please head here.